Health by Design
An Introduction to Design Thinking
January 18 - March 21, 2024
Improve your creative confidence by applying design methods to solve real healthcare challenges.
Through live online workshops and a small group project, you will explore how design mindsets and methods can power the development of new health systems, services, and products rooted in people’s lived experiences. Discover different approaches, experiment, (tinker), adopt new perspectives, and collaborate with a diverse group of learners to generate novel ideas and new perspectives on important healthcare issues.
Join a community of health professionals who are pushing the boundaries by using design thinking and processes to address real healthcare challenges. Generate novel ideas and test them in the clinical space.
From January 18 - March 21, 2024, we will meet online for 5 workshops every other Thursday from 12 - 2 pm ET (accommodating around Thursday, March 14 for March Break). Optional online studio sessions will take place at the same time on the weeks in between workshops. Review the agenda for complete dates and details.
After active engagement in this program, participants will be better able to:
- Explore and explain the mindsets and methods required to practice human-centred design
- Use design thinking research tools to generate relevant qualitative and ethnographic data
- Synthesize qualitative insights about users’ experiences, gathered through interviews and other forms of primary and secondary research into a scoped and defined problem frame
- Amplify your creativity and generate solutions and interventions to a challenge
- Design prototypes and iterate on your ideas to optimize your solutions
Structure of the Program
5 live interactive workshops guiding you through the stages of a design process
4 live, optional studio sessions for flexible learning between workshops
Activities, readings, videos and assessments completed where, when, and how you prefer to work
Small group mini-project focused on solving a current healthcare challenge
Expected Outcomes for Participants
- Join a community of clinicians and leaders in healthcare who push the boundaries / challenge the status quo using the design process to address health challenges
- Earn a Certificate of Completion and CME credits
Who is Health by Design For?
This digital certificate program is designed for healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines interested in creative problem solving, leading change or exploring innovation in healthcare.
- Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Allied Health Practitioners
- Faculty, Educators and Researchers
- Health entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs
- Graduate students, post-doctoral students, medical residents and young professionals
A diversity of perspectives, experiences and expertise is welcome as it will lend itself to a dynamic interdisciplinary and applied learning environment.