Health by Design
An Introduction to Design Thinking
This intensive 9 week program will introduce you to the theory and practice of human-centred design and seeks to improve your creative confidence through the practical application of design methods to real healthcare challenges.
Through live online workshops and a small group project with your design team, the program will explore how design mindsets and methods can power the development of new health services and products. You will explore different approaches, experiment, (tinker), discover new perspectives, and collaborate with a diverse group of learners to generate novel ideas and new perspectives on important healthcare issues.
This program starts on October 5, 2023 and will run for 9 weeks. Live online sessions will be held every Thursday from 12-2PM ET.
- Appreciate the mindsets and methods required to practice human-centred design
- Become adept at using design thinking research tools to generate relevant qualitative and ethnographic data
- Discover how to synthesize qualitative insights about users’ experiences, gathered through interviews and other forms of primary and secondary research into a scoped and defined problem frame
- Amplify your creativity and generate solutions and interventions to a challenge
- Design prototypes and iterate on your ideas to optimize your solutions
Structure of the Program
5 live interactive workshops scheduled over 9 weeks to guide you through the stages of a design process
4 studio sessions for flexible learning between workshops
Activities, readings, videos and assessments completed where, when, and how you prefer to work
Small group mini-project focused on solving a current healthcare challenge
Expected Outcomes for Participants
- Join a community of clinicians and leaders in healthcare who push the boundaries / challenge the status quo using the design process to address health challenges
- Earn a Certificate of Completion and CME credits
Who is Health by Design For?
This program is designed for healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines interested in creative problem solving, leading change or exploring innovation in healthcare.
- Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Allied Health Practitioners
- Faculty, Educators and Researchers
- Health entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs
- Graduate students, post-doctoral students, medical residents and young professionals
A diversity of perspectives, experiences and expertise is welcome as it will lend itself to a dynamic interdisciplinary and applied learning environment.